Wednesday, 1 March 2017

'Static Interference' Foundation Paper Piecing Block - Blithe Fabric Blog Tour



Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design


That’s it folks, the last day of the official Katarina Roccella ‘Blithe’ Fabrics Blog Tour, although I have the sneaking suspicion that it might continue unofficially with people posting their creations on Instagram using #blithefabricsblogtour or #blithefabrics. So many beautiful things were created that I would like to encourage you to follow the links and check them out.

While I am bringing up the rear, I am very pleased to share with you a baby quilt top made with selected ‘Blithe’ prints in combination with April Rhode’s 'Wanderer' print 'Sacred Seeds in Brittle'.


Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design



The German mail system failed me miserably concerning this blog hop project. As previously mentioned, the fabrics I had required for this project just did not arrive. I mailed Katarina to let her know, I checked with a few local post offices and then finally Katarina told me that the letter had returned, as it had not been claimed for 20 days(!). The thing is that I never received a notification to let me know that the letter had arrived in the first place. As the recipient of any non-commercial mail in Germany you are just left to your own devices and absolutely no-one is helping you when you are trying to make enquiries. You can tell that I am still a more than only a little annoyed. When I commenced my project I then worked with a fat quarter bundle I had purchased, rather than with the fabrics and amounts initially requested.


Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design



This is why am especially pleased to present you my blog hop contribution despite the adversities suffered in the process. I love how my baby quilt top turned out. Somehow the featured prints look very feminine to me, which goes nicely with the softness of Art Gallery Fabrics in general. I still have got a few months time to finish the baby blanket until my friend Tina is due to give birth to her second child, though we do not know if it is going to be a boy or a girl yet.


Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design


One of the secret plans, I hatched very early when I commenced blogging, was that, should I manage to stick writing the blog, I would want to give something back to the sewing community. When Katarina Roccella called for makers to work with her gorgeous new fabric line it seemed like an opportunity to me. Firstly, I would get to work with Katarina’s new and indeed very pretty fabric line and secondly, a deadline approaching would provide the necessary pressure to actually get things done. Having said that, paper piecing under time pressure sure poses a challenge.


A new block from me to you



Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design

Herewith, I am saying THANK YOU to each and every one person, who has taken the time to painstakingly write up a step-by-step description, to film a tutorial, to explain processes, to share tips and tricks or to provide encouragement. Like many a member of the online community, I have hugely benefited and continue to benefit from your knowledge, generosity and the free resources you provide. So consider this payback time.


'Static Interference' -  8x8 inches


Here it is, a free 8 x 8 inches foundation paper piecing block from me to you. It is called ‘Static Interference’. It is a fairly minimal and modern block but very versatile indeed. I had a lot of fun playing around with the colouring sheets and was in for quite a few surprises myself in discovering possible repeats other than those, I had initially envisioned. So overall I am very pleased with the outcome. I am especially grateful to all online sewing acquaintances who, with their casual questioning, if and when any of my #30daysofquiltdesign designs would be realized in fabric, gave me the confidence to actually convert an idea into a usable template. Their lack of doubt as to me being able to do that was rather catching.


Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design


My sewing friend, the lovely Maja blogging at 'betyipiernaty - quilts and coverlets' agreed to pattern test my creation. I am certainly in love with what she came up with fabric selection wise in her rendition of the block. Her current plan is, to make three more blocks and assemble them into a pillowcase. Whilst testing the pattern, I noticed that I had included a line in the C and D templates that was – in the end – superfluous. Since, as a rule, things ought to be kept as simple as possible, I simplified the templates accordingly.



Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design


There are further assembly options of course. =)

Please download your templates here


Well, here 

If you use the block pattern I would be delighted if you let me know and shared a picture with me, i.e. on IG using #staticinterferencequiltblock. The block is free for private use including sales items in non-commercial quantities. Please do me the courtesy to link back to me as originator if you do use the pattern.

Static Interference, Puppilalla, Blog Hop, Katarina Rocella, Blithe Fabrics, Foundation Paper Piecing, Free Quilt Block, Original Design


That’s it, all done.
=)


I link up with 'Let's Bee Social'
Sew Fresh Quilts

5 comments:

  1. You made an amazing baby quilt, Katrin! In spite of all the logistic problems you persevered and created an absolutely gorgeous modern quilt, Congratulations to you!
    The templates are stored for later use...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby quilt top so much! It is very original. Thanks so much for sharing this block pattern with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. I'm happy to stumble upon you within the Blithe blog tour. This pattern is wonderful. Your baby quilt is beyond words. I love it so much. Cheers for pressing on to complete it with all adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you were able to finish the top even with all that post hassle. And congrats on your first block design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrin, this is so pretty! I'm sure your friend will love this beautiful quilt you created for her. And a big congrats to bringing one of your designs to life. It's always such a good feeling to actually take something from and idea to a reality.

    ReplyDelete