Thursday, 16 February 2017

Katarina Roccella’s Blithe Blog Tour - Baby Blanket

Currently, it is very busy behind the scenes of this blog. I am busy organising the 'Rakish Needle Round Robin', which starts properly in March. So far I have signed up participants, compiled the address list, organised the commuication platform and discuss form and whatnot of starter blocks with the ladies in the group. All this causes me to want to flit off to do a just a teensy bit of work on the round robin project when I ought to concentrate on the blog hop that is lying ahead. And I do. Of course I do BUT I am tempted to veer off nonetheless. 


Blithe Blog Hop, Puppilalla, Katarina Roccella, paper piecing, static interference quilt block, paper piecing

...work in progress


So where are we then? I have created the paper piecing template for my block design in Inkscape. A shaky but valid first attempt. It does not look as neat and professional as I would like it to but I accept that this will come when I start understanding the design programme better. (I needed a tutorial to tell me how to affect a straight line in the first place. I can tell you, it is not self-explanatory!) As for now, I am seriously thrilled that I have managed to transform one of my many designs from mere idea to an actual usable and workable template. (YEAH)

It is an unreal pinch-me feeling to realize that I am working with my own templates rather than some printed from a fellow quilter or admired designer (both may co-incide of course =)


Blithe, Blog Hop, Puppilalla, Katarina Roccella, paper piecing, static interference quilt block, paper piecing

I have printed said templates as many time as I needed for a baby quilt and spent an evening cutting them to size and colouring them in accordance with my project plan. At the moment they litter my living room floor in order for me not to loose oversight of the colour flow whilst I am sewing the pieces.

The fabrics I had  requested for the project still have not arrived. I had word from Katarina this week that the consignment was returned to her after not having been claimed for 20 days. This angers me more than I can possible write here. I checked with several local post offices at the off chance that the consignment arrived - of course without avail. I never received any notification that the consignment had arrived in the first place, which is obviously why it had subsequently not been claimed. I am getting angry again... deep breath... no use crying over spilled milk... OK, then.

I had waited to the last possible moment in the hope the fabrics would arrive but had to start sewing eventually. In fact I have left it too late, which means I will not be able to present a finished baby blanket. A completed quilt top is my aim for the 1st of March and I will have to sew at speed to make it happen. In the absence of the required material, I am working with a fat quarter bundle of 'Blithe' prints I had luckily purchased. Of course - as previously mentioned - that changed my original project plan. I have also chosen the 'Sacred Seeds in Brittle' print of the 'Wanderer' collection by April Rhodes to compliment Katarina Roccella’s wonderful 'Blithe' prints.

Paper piecing is a lot of fun and I am enjoying the look of the finished blocks. I am sorely tempted to show them to you already but no - patience - the 1st of March is not all that far away now. If you have a moment, check out what fabulous projects already were made in the course of the ongoing blog hop.


I link up with 'Let's bee social'


Sew Fresh Quilts




5 comments:

  1. Oh, man, you are having a time getting that fabric :( I do hope it is able to get to you quickly. I've used Inkscape a few times, and it isn't the most user friendly. I think I have to look up YouTube videos every time. It looks like you were quite successful making your templates and I can't wait to see them all turned around and put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Tish, Inkscape is a bit of a challenge. I cannot wait to show you the completed quilt top (bounce, bounce, bounce...) Are you still available to pattern test the 'paper lace' design? I might try to draw this one up next =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely entertaining blog you have here! Just popped over from Let's Bee Social, and it's great to meet you! I do feel your pain over your delayed fabric, but maybe there's a reason and the Blithe fabrics will look as stunning! Enjoy your paper piecing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating about the fabric, but I am really excited that you have figured out how to make your own templates....one day I would like to figure this out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh, that's really frustrating about your delivery! D: The fabrics you have there are beautiful though. Totally hear you about making your own foundation pattern - it's a real buzz. :) I use Inkscape for my foundation designs when I make them, too. It's really good software but does have a learning curve. I really ought to try and do a tutorial to explain some of the things I've found useful....

    ReplyDelete